The Free File Alliance was official provided to the public in 2003. They are approved by the IRS to provide the following services:
- 100% free online tax filing
- easy tax preparation solutions
- free e-filing option
The Free File Alliance is a nonprofit group of industry-leading tax software companies that have partnered with the IRS to provide 100% free and secure electronic tax services to taxpayers.
Note: Taxpayers must be eligible to use this free service. Click here to see the requirement(s). It was on October 30, 2002 that the Free File Tax Agreement was made official. The public-private partnership agreement was signed by the IRS and the Free File Alliance to provide easier tax filing and preparation and to offer greater access to free online services to taxpayers.
Below are some free fillable tax forms:
- Military & foreign filers
- User Guide (PDF)
- Validate your return
- Minimum Computer Requirements
- Available Forms & Limitations
If you plan to file your taxes yourself without using the free file software, you must:
- know how to do your taxes yourself
- do math correctly; offers only basic guidance
- have your current Tax Return
- be aware that State tax prep is not available
- be aware that E-file a free extension
NOTE: please visit the site directly to verify the details and obtain more information.
If you are interested in filing your taxes for free, read below. We have provided a quick “how to” activation guide below to file your taxes online for free.
how to activate – Free Official IRS Approved Online Tax Filing
what you need in advance:
- internet access
- personal information
what to do if you want to file your taxes online for free using the free file software:
- visit: www.freefilealliance.org to find out more or visit: www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free to get started
- click on the “START Free File Now” button
- select the company you wish to proceed forward with and follow all the steps required to process your return online for free