WordPress was launched in 2003 with few users but has turned into the biggest and most used self-hosted blogging tool across the globe. It is used on millions of sites. WordPress has expanded to be used as full content management system and offers so much more through the download of free thousands of plugins and widgets and themes. NOTE: please visit the site directly to verify the details and obtain more information.
If you want to be a new WordPress user you will want to download and install WordPress for use on your. We have provided a quick and basic “how to” guide below for activate WordPress for use on your personal/business website.
how to activate – WordPress
what you need:
- internet access
- have your website host requirements reviewed and checked
- have your versions of PHP and MySQL reviewed and verfied
- make sure your web host is compatible with WordPress
- have your website username and password
- have FTP Client Software
what to do to activate and install WordPress:
- visit: www.wordpress.org/download
- click on the blue “Download WordPress'” button
- unzip the WordPress package
- make a database for WordPress on your web server, as well as a MySQL user who has all privileges for accessing and modifying it
- (Optional) Find and rename wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php, then edit the file and add your database information
- upload and install the WordPress files to the desired location on your web server
- run the WordPress installation script by accessing the URL in a web browser. NOTE: This should be the URL where you uploaded the WordPress files.
- If WordPress is installed in the root directory visit ex.: http://example.com/
- If WordPress is installed in its own subdirectory called blog, for example, you should visit: http://example.com/blog/
- WordPress should now be installed and activated
- NOTE: you hosting company may also have a Cpanel section that allows you download and install WordPress faster and easier