Lone Star Legal Aid began as the Houston Legal Aid Clinic in 1948 and East Texas Legal Services in 1977. They are a a 501(c)(3) nonprofit law firm and is the fourth largest free legal aid provider in the United States. Lone Star services about 60,000 square miles, one-third of the state, including 72 counties in the eastern and Gulf Coast regions of Texas, and also four counties of southwest Arkansas. Their headquarters are located in Houston but they have 12 branch offices in Angleton, Beaumont, Belton, Bryan, Conroe, Galveston, Longview, Nacogdoches, Paris, Texarkana, Tyler, and Waco.
Lone Star Legal Aid programs were developed for the purpose of equalizing access to justice for low-income persons who otherwise would not be able to afford an attorney to protect their rights and help meet basic needs. NOTE: please visit the site directly to verify the details and obtain more information. If you are interested in a medial power of attorney you will want to apply to Lone Star for legal aid you will want to access the help page online. We have provided a quick “how to” activation guide below for you to activate your request to view legal aid information with Lone Star online.
how to activate- Application for Lone Star Legal Aid in Texas
what you need:
- internet access
what to do:
- visit: www.lonestarlegal.org/how-to-apply.pl
- review the information about applying for legal aid which states that there are two ways to apply:
- During scheduled intake hours, call the Houston Office or one of the Branch Offices to complete a phone application.
- During walk-in intake hours, visit the Houston Office or one of the Branch Offices NOTE: Appointments are not required but are highly recommended.
- If you are disabled and require an accommodation to access our services, please call 1-800-733-8394.